SI - 1550 Ljubljana
Satellite: Eutelsat, Hot Bird 3, 13 degrees East, transponder 90, 12520 MHz, Vertical polarisation, coding system Viaccess
According to the Law (lex specialis) passed on 12 November 2005, Radio-television Slovenia is “a public institution of special cultural and national importance performing public service in the field of radio and television activities … with the intention of fulfilling democratic, social and cultural needs of the citizens of the Republic of Slovenia, Slovenians abroad, Slovenian national minorities in Italy, Austria and Hungary, Italian and Hungarian national communities in the Republic of Slovenia … (Article 1)
The public service of RTV Slovenia has been established by the Republic of Slovenia.
It is the duty of the founder to assure institutional autonomy and editorial independence of RTV Slovenia and provide adequate funding for the fulfilment of public service (Article 2).
According to the Law, public service of RTV Slovenia includes creation, preparation, archiving and broadcasting of:
• three national TV channels
• three national radio channels
• radio and TV programmes in the regional centres in Koper and Maribor
• one radio and TV channel for the Italian and Hungarian national community respectively
• radio and TV programmes for the Romany community
• radio and TV programmes for Slovenian national minorities in the neighbouring countries and Slovenian emigrants and workers abroad
• radio and TV programmes for foreign audiences
• teletext and an Internet and mobile portal
• according to the Law, public service of RTV Slovenia includes a special national TV programme for direct broadcasting of the sessions of the National Assembly of the Republic of Slovenia and its working bodies, and the sessions of the National Council.
Article 4 of the Law specifies the frameworks, conditions and standards for programme preparation.
Management and Supervision
The managing bodies of RTV Slovenia are the Programme Council and the Supervisory Council
The Programme Council consists of 29 members, of which:
• one member is appointed by the Hungarian national community
• one member is appointed by the Italian national community
• one member is appointed by the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts
• two members are appointed by the President of the Republic on a proposal from registered religious communities
• three members are directly elected by the employed of RTV Slovenia; they have to represent information programming, culture and arts programmes and the technical department of the organisation
• five members are appointed by the National Assembly on a proposal from political parties, as closely as possible reflecting the proportional representation of the parties in the National Assembly
• sixteen members are appointed by the National Assembly on a proposal from the viewers and listeners of the programmes of RTV Slovenia; universities, faculties and associations, associations' unions and their organizations, particularly in the fields of art, culture, science and journalism, and other civil-society organisations, with the exception of political parties and their forms of organisation. Candidates' suitability and qualification are demonstrated with documents required in the body of the public call (Article 17). They have also to be from different regions.
Members of the Programme Council are appointed or elected as of the date of the signing of the decision on the appointment or the decision on the election, or upon the day of appointment in the National Assembly. Their mandate lasts for four years starting upon the day the Programme Council is constituted (Article 18). First half of them will be replaced after 2 years.
Chairman-elect is Jernej Pikalo, Ph.D., his deputy A. I. Tone Ploj.
The rights and duties of the Programme Council are:
• to adopt programme standards, programme concepts, programme-production plans and programme outlines on a proposal from the Director General;
• to deal up-to-date with their realisation and with the viewers and listeners' comments and proposals.
• to give consent to the statute of the public institution and an opinion to the proposal of the financial plan provided by the Director General and adopted by the Supervisory Board.
• to appoint and relieve the Director General and provide prior consent as to the appointment and removal of radio and television directors.
The Supervisory Council consists of eleven members, five of which are appointed by the National Assembly, representing the proportional representation of political parties in the National Assembly (Bogomir Eržen, Damijan Knap, Gordana Višinski, Marta Kos Marko, M.Sc., Drago Zadergal); four are appointed by the Government (Miha Klun, Ivan Oven, Anton Tomažič, Janez Čadež) and two are directly elected by the employed of RTV Slovenia (Suzana Vidas Karoli, Martin Žvelc). The Supervisory Board is appointed for a period of four years and constituted together with the Programme Council. The chairman is Miha Klun.
The Supervisory Board adopts the statute on the basis of a prior consent by the Programme Council, adopts financial plans and annual reports and sets the fees for services not included in the public service.
The Director General manages the work of RTV Slovenia. He/She is elected by the Programme Council for a four-year mandate on the basis of a public call.
The Director General appoints – on the basis of a public call and given a prior consent from the Programme Council – the Director of Radio and TV, Deputy Director General for national programmes and other editors-in-chief (on a proposal from directors of radio and television). All these functions require prior public calls.
In case the directors of radio and television propose to the Director General to appoint as editor-in-chief a candidate that has not received a positive opinion from the majority of programme workers in the editorial office (the principle of workers' participation), this majority has the right to propose to the Director General a candidate who has received their positive opinion, and duly inform the Programme Council. Should this be the case, the Director General chooses a candidate after acquiring consent from the Programme Council (Article 21).
Director General - Mr. Marko Filli, M.Sc.
Director of Radio Programmes - Mr. Miha Lampreht
Director of TV Programmes - Mr. Janez Lombergar
Assistant Director General for Italian Programmes - Mr. Antonio Rocco
Assistant Director General for Hungarian Programmes - Mrs. Helena Zver, M.Sc.
Assistant Director General/Technical,engeneering - Mr. Matej Žunkovič
Assistant to Director General for Business and General Affairs, Mrs. Katarina Novak
Assistant to Director General for Finances and Accounting, Mrs. Anica Žgajnar
Director, transmitters and communications - Mr. Miran Dolenec
Head of International Dept. - Suzana Vidas Karoli
Managing Editor, News and current affairs - Mrs. Ksenija Horvat Petrovčič, M.Sc.
Managing Editor, Culture and arts - Mr. Andraž Pöschl
Acting Managing Editor, Entertainment - Petar Radović
Managing Editor, Sports - Mr. Mile Jovanović
Managing Editor, Parliamentary channel - Mrs. Ljerka Bizilj, Ph.D.
Head, TV Production - Mr. Igor Rozman, M.Sc.
Managing Editor ,1.channel - Mrs. Darja Groznik
Managing Editor,2.channel - Mr. Mirko Štular
Managing Editor, 3.channel - Mr. Matej Venier
Head, Radio production - Mr. Janez Ravnikar
Regional broadcasting center Koper/Capodistria
Head - Mr. Dragomir Mikelič
Managing Editor, radio - Mr. Andrej Šavko
Managing Editor, TV - Mrs. Barbara Kampos
Managing Editor Italian TV - Mr. Robert Apollonio
Managing Editor, Italian radio - Mr. Aljoša Curavić
Regional broadcasting center Maribor (also studio Lendava/Lendva)
Head - Mr. Srečko Trglec
Managing Editor, radio - Mr. Stanislav Kocutar
Managing Editor, TV - Mrs. Polona Pivec, Ph.D.
Managing Editor, Radio Slovenia International - Mr. Darko Pukl, M.Sc.
Managing Editor, Hungarian radio - Mr. Jože Vegi
Managing Editor, Hungarian TV - Mrs. Mirjana Lovrić
Head – Mr. Luka Zebec, M.Sc.
Editor of New Media - Mrs. Katarina Kaja Jakopič, M. Sc.
Head - Patrik Greblo
Additional information RTV Slovenia - International Relations Department
Phone: +386 1 475 21 57
Fax: + 386 1 475 21 50
Copyright: RTV Slovenia
Statistical data: Mrs. Barbara Zemljič, Ph.D.
English translation: Mrs. Marjana Rupnik